Thursday, July 16, 2009

Book Reivew: The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls


Jeannette Walls tells the story of her childhood and early adulthood in the Glass Castle. She writes unapologetically of her abusive family and her and her siblings' attempts to eek a living out of what is really quite stark and harsh conditions of abject poverty and neglect. (and I would argue mental illness on the part of the parents, but perhaps I'm being insensitive).
The story begins with a scene where Jeannette, 3 years old, is making her own hotdogs and ends up catching her clothes on fire and has to spend weeks in the hospital being treated for 3rd degree burns. From this point forward, we have the tension of the parents' dislike for all things ordered, clean and controlled, and how it jeopardizes their familial structure while at the same time creating a cohesiveness and love that was quite surprising. And somehow in the midst of all this chaos, three very intelligent, talented, self-sufficient and good-hearted people grow up.
Walls writes in such a straightforward way that you take these bizarre examples of family life at face value. Sometimes they are heartbreaking and sometimes they are uplifting, at other times horrifying. But never does the reader feel sorry for the Walls children. The memoir is written in such a way that you accept this family for their differences, sympathize with them, but never ever feel sorry for them. That's quite a feat considering the content!
The Glass Castle was chosen by Texas A&M's Common Ground program for all incoming freshmen in the College of Liberal Arts. My college roommate and I decided to read it along with them this year. I just wish I were in BCS so that I could attend some of the seminars that will be on-going throughout this year. I also wish I could read this book with the eyes and experience of an 18-year old.
Highly recommended. (especially for Aunt Janice :) )

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm taking note!
Aunt Janice