Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Book Review: Fatlands by Sarah Dunant



Usually I wait a day or so after finishing a book to write the review. Gives me a little perspective and keeps me from totally spoiling the plot for potential readers...but I just finished Fatlands and wanted to write about it tonight because I found it so wonderful! Terrifically written. Loved the protagonist and a gripping story.

Fatlands is the first novel by Sarah Dunant (you may know her as the author of Birth of Venus or In the Company of the Courtesan, Italian renaissance historical fictions). It's a crime novel with the main character of Hannah Wolfe. Ms. Wolfe is a delightful character. I absolutely loved her. The story and writing are fast-paced and perfectly executed.

I'm not usually a reader of detective novels, but I enjoyed Dunant's historical fiction so much that I wanted to read it and see if I had issues with the detective novel genre or if I could enjoy one written by a writer that can really put words on a page. Apparently, I had issues with the writing of other detective novel authors.

Highly recommended.

No comments: