Thursday, October 11, 2007

The Tunnel

David and I have started walking daily on our local rails-to-trails bike and walking trail. It's not always lovely considering that south Mississippi is probably always the most humid in the morning, but it is nice to have a destination and then be required to come back. I can't wimp out and say "I'm too tired or hot or whatever to continue." About 3/4 mile into the walk there is a tunnel that goes under a busy street. It's a fairly long tunnel--probably 20 yards or more--and it' actually dark inside, and cool and all the other wonderful things you want when you're hot and sweaty.


This week we upped our mileage to three miles and when I see that tunnel on our return trip--about 2 1/4 miles, remember, I'm thinking..."there's the tunnel and I can see the light at the end of it."


And metaphorically that's where I am today. I completed my first draft of a 133 page report. It was a grueling couple of weeks, but I'm proud of it tonight. When I look at it on the other side of the tunnel tomorrow, it may not be so pretty, but today I'm happy...very happy actually...so happy that I could just fall asleep on the couch and not move until I get up to do my 3 mile walk tomorrow morning...

...and I can honestly say that I think I'm looking forward to the beach even more than I thought possible!
And btw, this is a picture of a tunnel in Ireland which, though it doesn't look exactly like our tunnel, reminds me of it somehow...

No comments: