Thursday, December 03, 2009

Book Review: The Quilter’s Legacy by Jennifer Chiaverini


This 5th book in the Quilter’s Apprentice series focuses on the upcoming marriage of Slyvia and Andrew and Sylvia’s quest for her mother’s five “show-quilts.” Interspersed with Sylvia’s story is Eleanor’s, Sylvia’s mother.

I liked the structure of the book with one chapter that focuses on Sylvia and then the next chapter focused on Eleanor and her making the quilt that Sylvia is looking for. The chapter that focuses on Sylvia tells two basic stories: 1) Andrew’s children’s rejection of their decision to marry and 2) Sylvia’s search for her mother’s lost quilts.

I liked Eleanor’s stories the best. I felt that they were fleshed out better and had more plot and interest. Sylvia’s stories felt flat to me, mainly because I thought Andrew’s children’s reasons for rejecting the marriage didn’t make sense and their willingness to estrange themselves to their father because of it didn’t work for me.

After reading the book I think it fits the “tragic” genre. So many heartrending events take place that you feel rather depressed despite the somewhat happy ending. I did like that Sylvia was able to bond with her deceased mother through this search for her quilts, since the female bonding is one of those things that I’ve always liked about Chiaverini’s books. That said, it was a little late and not much could result from it.

Recommended if you like the Quilter’s Apprentice series. I have the 6th book already purchased but if I don’t like it much better than I did 4&5, I will quit reading the series.

No comments: