Friday, November 16, 2007

Book Review: The Second Mrs. Darcy by Elizabeth Aston

The Second Mrs. Darcy by Elizabeth Aston is really quite an enjoyable book. I had a little trouble getting into it, but once I did, I didn't want it to end. I really enjoyed the main character Octavia. She developed into a fully grown and enjoyable woman who was independent and willing to do what it takes to fight for that independence.

The synopsis of the book is that Octavia Darcy is recently widowed and left very poor by her husband, Christopher Darcy whose first wife gambled him into serious debt. Since his property is entailed, it goes to the nearest male cousin. Fate would smile on Octavia, however, in the form of a great-aunt who died and left her her vast estates and wealth. Octavia, overnight, becomes a very wealthy woman.

The remainder of the book is focused on love matches between several of the characters a-la Jane Austen, and is quite fun and interesting to read. As I said, I really didn't want this book to end, and I can only hope that Aston revisits Octavia, but if the past four books are indication, she won't. I enjoyed this one more than the previous three, I think, because Octavia is a young woman, not a teenager growing up. If you like a good story, get this book.

No comments: