Tuesday, April 06, 2010

Book Review: Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery


Anne of Green Gables by Lucy Maud Montgomery is an absolutely delightful read. Anne is an orphan from Nova Scotia brought to Prince Edwards Islands to the Cuthburts by mistake: they wanted a boy, got a VERY talkative and imaginative girl.

The novel follows Anne as she grows up and makes lots of mistakes and learns from them. She grows into a very compassionate, very intelligent young woman.

I liked this book for several different reasons. I thought the character of Anne was very well wrought. Her voice "spoke" to me at night (much to my dismay as it's a very chatty voice and I couldn't sleep), and her lessons growing up were all training grounds to help her become a useful and compassionate adult.

I'm looking forward to reading other books by Montgomery.

I rate this one a 5 and recommend it to all readers.

No comments: