Sunday, May 23, 2010

Book Review: Restoration by Rose Tremain


Restoration by Rose Tremain is a novel that will stay in my head for a while. I highly recommend it to anyone who likes books that make you think...especially when you're finished and have to wonder how much of the story can be trusted.

Restoration follows the life of Robert Merivel over a couple of years during the 1660s. He's brought into the court as a Fool and physician to the royal dogs, almost by accident and ends up being married to the King's mistress. What follows is a descent into dispair as low as his highs had been, and then a shallow creeping out of the mess he made of his life.

The novel starts off very funny, bawdy and enjoyable. The character is very likable and the writing clean and enjoyable. I actually couldn't wait to get home to read everyday and felt "tried" by the fact that my days and evenings were so busy lately.

I'm looking forward to reading other novels by Tremain.

No comments: