Thursday, June 02, 2011

19th Annual Thornton Thimbler's Quilt Bee

The 19th annual Thornton Thimbler's Quilt Bee begins today.  I'll go tomorrow with my girls and am looking forward to the whole experience very much.  I have grown to love this weekend that we spend together each year having fun with family and quilting on a quilt.  We hardly ever finish despite adding an extra day and (now) 4 new people.  Things we do besides quilting?
  • play games--made up, real, imaginary, etc., usually with prizes
  • eat elaborately planned and prepared meals
  • go out to dinner where people gawk at us--12 dressed up good-looking women usually draw some attention
  • talk
  • talk
  • talk
  • laugh
  • laugh until we cry
  • remember
  • stay up too late
  • tell (and write) stories
The bee has been extra-special to me because it allowed me to get to know my mother better.  As a person, not as my mother. I learned to appreciate who she is and her sense of humor and values.  I am so happy that I was able to break away from that traditional relationship we had and see her having fun with other people.  It allowed me to have more fun with her.  I certainly hope my daughters have had the same experience with me.  In addition, the bee has let me get to know my very special aunts and cousins.

It is a tradition like none other that I'm aware of.  Anytime I tell people about the quilt bee they are always curious about what we do and why.  And after I start talking (they'll eventually have to interupt to get me to shut up) they inevitably say, "Oh it's like a family reunion." Yes and no.  It is in that we're all family and get to spend time together but it's so much more than just a reunion.  I honestly believe it has become an "institution" in the Thornton family and I'm very proud to be a member of such a wonderful group!

Let the fun begin ladies!  But don't have all the fun today.  Save some for me tomorrow!

No comments: