Thursday, May 04, 2006

Who I Am


I am 36 years old. I am a granddaughter, daughter, mother, wife, sister, friend. I am a student of literature, statistics, and research methods. I learn foreign languages easily. I am a quilter, cross stitcher, needlepointer, writer, admirer of art, musician, and reader. I am overweight and have fought that for 15 years. I am addicted to sweets. I am addicted to love and peace. I hate conflict and disorganization. I try to keep my house peaceful. I love my cats. I love the beach.

I married young to a man who still holds the key to my heart. He hasn’t clipped my wings—in fact he provides the wind to keep me afloat when I feel like taking a nose dive. I had twins within a year of getting married. I am not a complacent mother. I fight the continual demands on my physical being, my emotions, and my spirit. I want to see my children free, independent and self sufficient. Many times I can’t understand them (they’re 14 and I’m told this is rather normal).

The major events in my life that have “defined” who I am:the explosion of Challenger, meeting my husband, 9/11, Hurricane Katrina.

I was fortunate enough to have five living grandparents until I was 19 years old. At 36, I still have my favorite grandmother. They each individually affected me, and I was close to them and understand them in ways that I believe are uniquely my own. I saw into their spirits and souls because I was curious about who they were and what made them tick. They all make me a better person. I am special because of them.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Leslie, I always know how old you are because that's the year Ken and I got married. Can you tell I am commenting to get the hang of it? I think I've got it right this time!