Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Witchy Woman

Grandma Morris looked like a witch...that was what I thought she was while I was young enough to believe in witches. She had a hawky nose, was tall and skinny and had a perpetual frown on her face. She was not a particularly loving person, and since I was a girl I wasn't in favor. I did spend a lot of time in her house and I ate her Little Debbie snack cakes (something we NEVER had at our house no matter how cheap they were) did some of her word search puzzles, read her books, and basically annoyed her to no end.

In retrospect I think she loved me in her own way, but I don't think she was happy with her choices in life and as I was a second generation result of that choice, she didn't like me.

She did like my middle brother. Spoiled and petted him rotten. I remember being so jealous because I knew he didn't deserve or appreciate her preference, but that was the way things were. On his birthday he would get a card with a $100. I was lucky to get a card. The preferential treatment was not only in my head.

Grandma M was one of those people that you talked about behind her back, but didn't pretend to love her to her face. I don't ever remember her laughing, or smiling, or otherwise showing general happiness.

She eventually got Alzheimers, broke her hip, and then sat in a nursing home until she died. It was very sad because she had been so independent minded that seeing her completely physically and mentally incapable was heartbreaking.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes, I think she had a sad life and it is a shame. A lot of people felt the way you did about her. But...your mother turned out to be one of the most lovely people in the whole world!