Thursday, December 07, 2006

Christmas Cards

I'm one of those funny people who LOVE getting Christmas cards. I check through the mail every day looking for some, but so far, I've only gotten one Christmas card this year. And I know part of the reason is that I haven't sent mine out. I've been so busy and stressed that I haven't had the opportunity to enjoy the thought of writing everyone's address on an envelope and thinking about what they've been up to since I last heard from them. It's a nice reflection on the bounty of my life and my friends and colleagues. It makes me feel good and happy.

Until a few years ago, I would always send my cards out the day after Thanksgiving. Aunt Betty would always tell me that mine was the first she received, but then one of her friends started sending hers before me and I wasn't first anymore, and then I got crazy and didn't manage to get my cards out. I'm two weeks late this year, and I still don't have stamps.

I have always wondered, though, why some people don't send cards until they get them. I fear if I did that I wouldn't get any, and then I'd have all these boxes of cards that I bought to send to everyone I know and love, just waiting. Probably some anxiety born out of teenage misery (if I don't share my makeup, they won't like me).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love choosing Christmas cards, addressing them, stamping them, and sending them on their way. And I LOVE getting Christmas cards too. There are some I especially look forward to, like yours!
Auntie J.

Anonymous said...

I'll get my cards out soon. I haven't decorated either? Running late. Yours wasn't the first card this year, but close. Love the picture of all ya'll!