Monday, December 11, 2006

for the love of old friends

My friend visited this weekend. We met in grad school in Kentucky but he's now teaching at a university in Washington state. We haven't seen each other in five years and have communicated with the scarcity of people who have ridiculously busy schedules. He is also a very good friend with David, so the three of us had quite a wonderful time.

One thing that I think is really neat about seeing old friends who you really connect with is that moment when you see each other and get past the "it's so good to see you how long has it been" moment to the moment where you are talking like you haven't been apart--just talking like you always did about things that are interesting and fun to you. If we had the "how long has it been moment" I don't remember it. It's like he walked in and we started talking about our observations on life and it was fun.

I'll miss him now that he's going home. I won't miss being so tired, but I'll miss seeing him and chatting! It's hard to keep in touch as much as would make me happy, but it makes me feel good knowing that when we get together again we'll start a conversation about the latest book we've read or make observations about our waiter that makes my eyes water I'm laughing so hard...fun, good times!

No comments: