Friday, December 28, 2007

Looking Back and Forward

As the old year ends and the new year begins, we always tend to look back and think of all the things we didn't accomplish and try to set better goals for ourselves next year...I think that's such a negative way of looking at things. This past year has certainly been topsy turvy for me, at many times I thought "what the hell am I up to anyway?" but I've learned a lot and am certainly in different place than I was last year--for better and worse--and that's pretty much been the theme for my entire life. I grow, I shrink, I think, I act rashly, I love, I hate...but no matter what I do I try really really hard to do my best at everything...and honestly that can be a bit overwhelming as I think we humans have a reservoir for stress and mine has flooded so many times....

A few of the highlights and lowlights from 2007:
  • I passed my comprehensive exams in June
  • I quit my regular day-to-day job and went independent in February
  • I fired a client in October, much to the dismay of my financial outlook
  • I learned to weave in October
  • I passed my preliminary proposal in December
  • I went to Europe in May/June
  • I've made new friends this year
  • I've made big strides to improve my marital relationship
  • I've tried really hard to be a good parent to teenagers, though my tongue is raw most days (from biting it), I think I'm doing a fairly good job
  • I did not lose the 20 pounds I wanted to
  • I did not do a good job of staying away from sweets

Things I definitely want to accomplish in 2008

  • Experiment with weaving and try to become good at it
  • Pass my proposal
  • Lose 20 pounds and keep it off
  • Be a good parent to my teenagers and help them get prepared for life on their own
  • Be a good wife to my husband and prepare ourselves for a life of our own
  • Continue to develop my good friendships
  • Go to Europe in May/June

No comments: