Tuesday, January 15, 2008

When I was a little girl...

When I was a little girl I wove potholders. There was this little plastic potholder peg loom that you could buy at Wal Mart (though this was probably before Wal Mart!) that you used looped stretchy fabric to stretch between pegs. You did the "warp" in one direction and then using a long metal pole with a hook on the end you would then weave the loops through the warp and hook onto pegs on either side. After you were finished with that, you would start in one corner and loop the ends around each other to finish off the edges and leave the final hook sticking out so that you could "hang" it in a peg or nail in your kitchen. I probably made 100 of these.

I remember giving a sack full of them to my Aunt Linda Kay and she had the funniest look on her face. As an adult I know that look was "what on earth do I do with all these potholders!" but she didn't SAY anything, just looked funny.

I also enjoyed making the potholders where you wrapped yarn around nails on a shaped "loom" (the ones mom had were octagonal) to get a thickness of about 1 inch. Then you would take another yarn and make knots in the intersections of the yarns to tie the whole thing together. Mine weren't very good because I didn't have the strength to get the knots tight enough, but I did enjoy trying...We had lots of those too. I liked playing with colors on this type. Using one color, then another, and tying with a third for a pleasing effect...

When I look back on it now, I'm so surprised that I never got into weaving before now. I can blame it on simple lack of availability and expense of setting up a studio. Because, my goodness, I really did enjoy weaving just about everything I could!

No comments: