Sunday, July 24, 2011

Catching up with my life

This weekend I've spent quietly at home.  I needed that as I've been going like crazy for the past couple of months.  It's been nice to decide what I wanted to do and just do it and not worry about what else I have to do.  Luxury, for sure.

Dissertation news:  I will be defending my dissertation on August 25th.  Until then I have to prepare my PowerPoint and practice my presentation.  But, mostly I feel relaxed and ready to get that hurdle over with.  I'm ready to be called "Dr. Butler." :)

General Health:  Seems to be fine.  I've had some stomach upsets the past few days.  I think I've narrowed down the culprit, but it'll take a few days of testing to see.  Not bad enough to go to the dr, but not comfortable for general happiness.  David and I started Weight Watchers last week.  We both lost 4 pounds today.  Keep your fingers crossed that we'll continue to stick with it this time around!

Reading:  I've been reading lots of good books, mostly romances.  I tried picking up the 6th in the Quilter's Apprentice series by Jennifer Cheviarini.  Just couldn't get into it.  The writing in that series really went down after the first few.  I won't be buying any others.  I enjoyed Stefanie Sloane's new book "Angel in my Arms."  I thought the characters were absolutely delightful.  The writing was sometimes confusing, and I really think the book would have benefited from another editorial run-through, but I'll be reading her next book which comes out this week.  I started "Mistress of the Art of Death" today and was hooked by about page 6.  I was devastated to find out that Diana Norman, aka Ariana Franklin, passed away in January.  I've enjoyed (very much so) every book I've ready by her.  Otherwise, I've been reading lots of romances as I get through all the trying times I've been going through lately.

Grandma:  Still missing her like crazy.  I try to keep roses around me all the time because they always make me think of her.  However, it's becoming expensive as they have to be thrown out after a few days.  I keep thinking of new blog entries to do about her and there are just too many.  I think I'll write her a book after this dissertation mess is over.

No comments: