Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Valentine's Day is just 2 Days Away!

I always loved Valentine's Day as a kid--any holiday with red as it's main color was my favorite no matter what it celebrated. Getting to sign all those cool little valentine cards and create your valentine box at school was always fun. Then there would be the ceremonial delivery of the cards throughout the day and at the end of the day we always had our Valentine's Day party...which, for some reason, meant freshly popped pop corn, some of those nasty little hearts and cokes.

My daddy was always really good about buying heart shaped boxes of candy which got bigger as I grew older. I loved eating each and every one even if I didn't like the nougat inside. It was always such a nice surprise.

Getting sweet gifts from boyfriends is always good, too, though sometimes turns out funny or wrong. I've written about the balking mule that David bought me one year that flopped and had to be remedied with a giant box of chocolates. In fact, we always seem to have Valentine disasters. Several years running we couldn't get our flowers delivered on time--one year the florist had the worst luck ever with 2 vans breaking down and our delivery didn't happen until 10:30. I think this was our first Valentine's after getting married. The flowers were supposed to be a surprise but when they didn't come he had to tell me that he did indeed buy me flowers but didn't know what happened.

Year before last at my office, our dean forgot Valentine's Day and had the secretaries calling every florist in town to see if they would deliver flowers to his wife. Without luck of course. Don't know how much trouble he was in for that! We laughed about that in the office for days and teased our poor dean. If we had more disposable money we probably would have had some flowers delivered to HIM!

This year David is working and won't be home for Valentine's Day. It'll be fine as he's already given me my presents...yes presentS. This year I got 3 heart charms to complete my collection, whcih brings my total to 11. The possibilities of combinations are endless and will match every single outfit I own. So exciting as I like those sorts of things a lot...

Happy Valentine's Day to everybody. Hope your day is filled with love and laughter!

No comments: