Tuesday, July 25, 2006

My house!

Is upside down!

Well, not literally, but we have definitely got a mess. The contractor starts to work today tearing down ancient crown molding (that has enough "rotten" spots on it to make it rather unattractive) and putting up newly painted and pretty stuff. I'm so excited I can barely stand it! In truth, I'm not really a big fan of crown molding--I could generally take it or leave it--and if I'm footing the bill, I'd rather not pay for it. However, the builders of our house decided to take the ONE short cut that I've seen so far and only build the wall to within 3 inches of the ceiling, so that means that if we don't have crown molding we have a huge gap in the wall that exposes the ceiling. Thus we have to have crown molding and now it's finally going to happen.

We spent a good bit of the evening yesterday moving furniture and re-setting up our office in our living room/library. My sewing room is partly in the "being remodeled dining room," the kitchen, and the guest room. The chairs that were displaced to allow the office and sewing room to be moved are in the dining room and will hopefully survive the craziness going on around them. Bookshelves, a really big and nice armoir, a filing cabinet and various sundry items are crammed in the middle of that dining room...sure hope Mr. Contractor can move around in there!

So, now that we've found the only contractor in Hattiesburg that is a decent worker and not busy with everyone else in town, we will probably never let him go...there's the fireplace mantle to rebuild, the bathrooms to fix up...painting to be done. Life will be messy and annoying while he's here, but we'll make the best of it becuase when he's gone, I'll FINALLY have my house the way I wanted it when I moved in 5 years ago! Now THAT's something!

No comments: