Friday, September 15, 2006

Book Review: Full Cupboard of Life by Alexander McCall Smith



In the 5th installment of the No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency series, Alexander McCall Smith does not disappoint. I enjoyed this book so much, I stayed up well past my bedtime to read it. This series is so delightful, that I’m trying to get everyone I know to read it! If you haven’t start it today!

In this installment, Mma Makutsi, the secretary, assistant manager, and assistant director as well as typing instructor, is doing so much better financially that she is able to move to a much better area of town. In this chapter of the book there is a beautiful description of Mma Makutsi bathing at the shared tap that really brought home to me the utter poverty in which Mma Makutsi lived in order to supply money for her family “back home.” She really matured in this book and I hope to see some wonderful stories about her in the future.

In fact, Precious almost took back seat in this book. Her stories are not as big or detailed, but they are important. Hired by a rich woman to discover the real reason behind her suitors’ interest in her, Precious begin investigating them individually. She has issues with letting her personal opinions get in the way, however, and is shocked by a revelation at the end of the book. I think much of Precious’s problem with this assignment is her own lengthy engagement to Mr. J.L.B. Matekoni. The surprise ending to the book, puts everything together for Precious, though, and leaves the reader waiting impatiently for the next book.

Finally, the story surrounding Mr. J.L. B. Matekoni is humorous and sweet. He is pressured into agreeing to consider a parachute jump by the ever-more-involved head of the orphan home, Mma Potokwane (sp?). The older apprentice ends up taking over the arduous task and enjoying himself very much.

Lots of allegory and allusion in this book, but it’s all subtle and understated. Again, the love of country, landscape and simple way of life pervades the main characters’ actions and thoughts. I did find myself at times having trouble following whose point of view the story line was following, but for the most part that was minor. I enjoyed this book as much as the others and am impatiently biding my time to get to #6.

No comments: