Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Ye Olde Thornton Memorie

David is always amazed at how I can remember things--fairly vividly--that happened a long time ago. This is made more amazing by the fact that I can read some books twice and not even realize it or mis-remember huge important plot devices or characters. (Sometimes I even misplace characters in the wrong books, but I think that's more my overactive imagination rather than a bad memory.) And movies are the worst because I've forgotten what happened by the time I walk out of the theater or turned off the DVD player.

But if it is an event that I lived through I will remember in fairly good detail what happened, where I was, what I was doing, what month and year it was, etc. David thinks that is a trait of the Thornton family--which he calls our elephant memory.

I think he's right in that my grandmother remembers dates unlike any other person I've ever met. I remember as a kid that she could state within a second exactly how long she had been married. Betty tells stories of Grandma remembering people's anniversaries and birthdays that she had met only one time.

So, I thought I would share a little about how that memory works. I can usually place myself time and date wise fairly quickly. For instance, if you were to ask me what I was doing in April 1998, I would think through this way: I moved to Kentucky in June 1996, so April 1998 was in my second year of being in KY. I was teaching composition 2 (my second time to teach that class at UK) to my class of 7 Matts, 4 Michaels and 5 Jennifers (no kidding). I think, too, that was the month I went to my first academic conference in South Carolina with an old professor from TAMU. The girls were 6 years old and still at Alpine Village School. We were living in the little house on Eagle Creek. This was around the time the ducks were eating my flowers--and I know that because it was my first spring at the house and we were going to be gardeners despite the fact that neither David nor I have the patience or talent to garden. I couldn't even begin to tell you what I was reading because I was reading so much for classes. I do, however, remember spending a lot of time at the campus bookstore--probably because it was on my way to my car and there were so many books I wanted to read and couldn't, so I went to the bookstore to ogle them. Also, this was the summer before my serious bout with the hives brought about by my stressing over the exams that I thought were upcoming.

I personally don't think this recall is anything special. I'm also really uncomfortable that I've gotten a good bit of it wrong, so, loyal readers, tell me, can you remember general information about what you were doing in April 1998?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

April 1998 -- I'll never forget that month. I was getting ready to retire from UHCL (the 28th to be exact!), and I was apprehensive about what was ahead. How would I like it? What would I do? Would I adjust? Some months, some years, some days just stick in your memory. And April 1998 for me was a milestone month and year. Thanks for the memories!
Auntie J.

Anonymous said...

In April 1998, I was with Leslie. The girl with the good memory.

Anonymous said...

I loved that memory from you. Let's see. Oh, yes, 1998, a very good year - we bought the house that is now our office, the best thing we ever did. Thanks for bringing that to my attention!

Anonymous said...

Just goes to show it has to be a Thornton thing as I am like David. In April 1998, I was with Merle. that is about all that I can remember. Oh, yes, I was teaching kindergarten. does that count? Mom