Thursday, February 01, 2007

February Already!

Hard to believe that January whooshed by and now it's already February. Winter seems finally to have arrived, and we all seem to be shivering in our houses while covered up in sweaters with personal heaters nearby.

When I was a kid, I always remember loving February. It was a special month because not only was it short but it got an extra day every four years. I always thought it would be cool to be born on leap-year day, but I guess my mom couldn't have held out another 3 months to ensure that could happen.

February also had all of my favorite holidays--Ground Hog Day which was just so weird and silly I loved because of the symmetry of the date: 2/2. Valentine's Day was always wonderful because of the little cards we always exchanged atschool, hearts were everywhere. I loved any month that used a holiday as an excuse to decorate in red. I also always thought President's Day was cool. It was always a neat tradition to look at pictures of Mount Rushmore and talk about Washington and the cherry tree.

But there also always seemed to be a negative to February. It seems that I got sick every year with a dreadful flu that would keep me home for several days. In 7th grade I was hospitalized with pneumonia and ended up missing all the Valentine's festivities. One year in Kentucky in February we got 2 feet of snow overnight that shut everything down for several days. Another year in Kentucky I got the flu that resulted in an ear infection that lasted for 2 months.

So February always bring to mind a conflicted set of feelings. I am excited about the holidays. I love any excuse to have an "extra" date with David, and maybe get some jewelry or flowers. But I do cringe at the other miserable historical events and hope that this February will be different...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like 2-2 also, but for a different reason - it's groundhog day which means spring will sooon be here and an end to the winter weather, even tho we have so little of it. I also like Valentine's and holidays that have red in the decorations.