Friday, August 03, 2007

Book Review: Song of Solomon by Toni Morrison


I just finished Song of Solomon by Toni Morrison. This is not going to much a review of the book--not because it doesn't deserve a good review, but because I don't think I'm the person to do it. I liked certain aspects of the book--Milkman is an interesting character, the pain and confusion of growing up and dealing with life no matter your race if clear, the frustration of the characters not to be able to be treated as equals was difficult to read (especially as a white person). However, I was so confused much of the time about where and when we were in the story that I often felt frustrated.


In fact, reading the book was really a frustrating experience for me. I was tired of having to deal with the crazy characters every time I sat down to read. They haunted me (which is probably a sign of a successful book) but I didn't want them to. In fact, I felt that I honestly didn't want the challenge of reading this book and didn't want the challenge of what the book was trying to make me think about. And I felt that if I did manage to deal with the issues presented in the book that there wasn't much I could do about it since everything seemed so squirrelly and crazy.


I hate that I can't give the book a better review than this. I know Morrison deserves better of her readers, and I honestly feel like I failed her this time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I tried to read the book several years ago and just could deal with it. To me a good writer is one that keeps your readers wanting to come back to the book and finish it and I didn't get that from the book. As a matter of fact, I didn't finish it. MOm