Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Book club book review: The Red Tent by Anita Diamant


I loved this book the first time I read it and I loved it the second time I read it. I’m sure if I read it again, I’ll still love it.

In The Red Tent, Diamant creates a life around the only daughter of Jacob, Dinah. She is the petted and precious daughter of her four mothers, each of whom taught her something special that became an integral part of her life. The red tent, the place where the women go during their menstrual cycle, is a central theme in the early part of the book because it provides a space where women are able to celebrate who they are, their life giving abilities, and the unique characteristics that make them women. The first part of the book is so beautiful and alluring that the reader is willing to give herself over to the fantasy of women’s space undefiled by men.

Dinah’s life takes its own course after they move the first time and then settle outside of Shechem. It is here that Dinah meets the love of her life, has that fantasy destroyed before her very eyes and then escapes to Egypt where she raises her son and establishes herself as a very talented midwife. Her adventures continue and the book ends in a beautiful reminiscence of Dinah’s accomplishments and wonderful gifts.

I find Diamant’s fiction to be so spiritual without being preachy. She is a talented story teller who weaves a wonderful tale about a woman who could see the beauty in life despite all of the tragedies and heartbreaks she endured.

No comments: