Monday, April 09, 2007

When I was a little girl...

I'm going to start a new series on Mondays called "When I was a little girl..." where I'm going to try to bring up an interesting memory from the time I can remember until I graduated from high school...So, here goes.

When I was a little girl I used to have a very very hard time waking up in the mornings. I would get out of my princess bed (the four poster wooden bed that was a "gift" from a slave owner to her slave upon emancipation, or at least that's the story I was always told) and put my feet on the little rug beside my bed and scoot on that rug over to my doorway. My room didn't have carpeting in it for a few years and the floor was always cold on my warm sleepy feet.

I would then dash to the bathroom and do my business and get back in bed where I would cozy up and usually fall back asleep.

After a couple of scoldings I would then get up and sit in front of my dresser. The bottom drawer was broken, so when I pulled it out it would lay on the floor instead of hold itself up. I would sit there and usually doze off to sleep again only to wake up when my head hit the dresser or floor or when one of our cats came to greet me good morning. I would then select my clothes and get back in bed where I would cozy up again.

At some point I managed to get dressed and then would start my ritual of eating breakfast. I loved cereals that had different kinds of "bits" in them. My favorite was always Lucky Charms. I would go through and eat all of the oat bits first and then I would eat the marshmallows color by color. I'm sure this took me forever because the marshmallows were usually all soggy and gross by the time I finished.

At some point my mother would start fussing because she was going to be late for work yet again, and I would have to start running around to get all my stuff ready for school. Then we would get in the car for our LONG ride to school and I would usually fall asleep again on the way, or at least try to if my mother's singing didn't rouse me too much.

No comments: