Monday, April 16, 2007

When I was a little girl...

I thought I was psychic. I truly believed that I could tell the future just by sitting down and thinking. I could predict what was the next song on the radio, I even could predict the words in a song that I'd never heard before. I could solve the puzzles on Wheel of Fortune faster than anybody I knew! I would have dreams that were so profound and real, I really believed I had lived them.

What I now know to be intuition was certainly magic when I was a kid. I believed in my gift and only shared the fact with people that I thought would appreciate it...which were few and far between. I actually thought it was a gift granted to me by Great-Grandma Stricklin. I knew she was magic too. I would often have long conversations with the trees or clouds or spirits or whatever lived in the oak trees on the 30...I learned a lot about the way of the world and how things function during those times lying on the trampoline.

I'm saying all this tongue in cheek, but I actually have had several weird dream experiences. Great-Grandma visited me and mom a couple of days after she died (that's one example, there are others). I knew that I was going to marry a man named David who was tall, dark haired with dark eyes. When my friend Jeffrey Lucan died, he visited me in my dreams several times until I told him that he was freaking me out. I miss him now that he really did leave me.

So, though I don't really believe myself psychic anymore, I do think that there's something to intuition and being observant of patterns for they help us see a bigger picture than the world in which we occupy space. I still can't explain all the dreams, though...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree with you. Sometimes I am intutive about things that are upsetting and I don't like that feeling. After my cousin and best friend died, I dreamed about her for years and years. Every night I would dream about her. We'd be laughing and having the best time. Suddenly she would say "I have to go back to being dead now." I was glad when I stopped dreaming about her. THere are some weird unexplanable things.