Friday, May 18, 2007

Book Review: The Elusive Flame by Kathleen Woodiwiss


I loved this book. I had so much fun reading a romance novel, and one by Woodiwiss. I haven't done that in years and years and years. Ever since I got serious about grad school, the romance novels went bye-bye. But what a big mistake.


Are they predictable? yes. Do the characters follow the same story arc every time? yes. Are all the men handsome? yes. Are all the women beautiful? yes. Do the couple have a conflict and refuse to talk to each other about their problems? yes. Does this lack of communication almost lead to them losing one another forever? yes. Do they eventually end up back together--often by happenstance? of course.


Do I care? not at all.


What fun I had reading this book. I loved it that Cerynice saved herself and her child in the end all by herself. That is certainly a departure from the ordinary in romance novels. I loved it that the whole story is an adventure. I am comforted by the fact that I know that the villains will meet their just reward and the good guys will too. I enjoy the fact that the book is historical and didn't even really care if there were silly mistakes (like the last of the azaleas dying out at the end of May in Charleston...more likely they would have been dead at the end of April, but that's such a picky point it's hardly worth noting).


So, yes, mom, I enjoyed this book and am looking forward to catching up on my Woodiwiss books!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This use to be my favorite author. I would wait impatiently for her to get her next book out. I guess she was the first romance I ever read. Now I read mostly mysteries but think I will have to get this book and read it. Mom