Thursday, May 10, 2007

Wal Mart

I've had posts on here about how much I hate shopping at Wal Mart here in Hattiesburg. We don't have enough stores in this town to accommodate all the shoppers' needs, so everyone and their baby goes to Wal Mart. It's crowded, there is never what you need in stock, and the store is usually dirty--and this is the "nice" Wal Mart that's clear across town from where I live.

We went last night after several nights of scouring the pantry for food. We all hate shopping so we put it off as long as possible.

BUT, the kids have had to start going with us after our little skirmish a couple of weeks ago...and I think they actually are enjoying going. They take a buggy and buy all the stuff they need, and we take our buggy and buy all the rest. They are usually done in time to help pick out produce, and it's a mad dash of Butlers running around the vegetable and fruit aisles with me hollering out to everyone what to get. We even got a few laughs last night when I yelled out to David to get "Four oranges, honey." (which I believe was because of my East Texas accent, and David believes it was because I was hollering...who knows...)

On our way home and afterwards I heard the kids mention that they actually LIKED going to the store to get all teir stuff. One of them said (and I can't remember who it was, bad parent that I am) that it was like practice for going to college. The other said that she was just happy to have caffeine again. I tried not to laugh too loudly for fear that I might scare them, but it was such a pleasing feeling to hear them actually acknowledge everything that I've been telling them all along!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't shop WalMart for all the reasons you mentioned, I hate WalMart and only go when my mother makes me go after something for her, then I go gladly.

Anonymous said...

Ooops, I published that comment anonomously and I meant to sign my name, so here it is...