Monday, January 08, 2007

Sugar Free...1/2 Year

It's been a really hard 6 months without sugar. Sometimes I mourn for it, but then I think about where it's gotten me (or more precisely stated, where I got myself through consumption of the grainy white substance) and I know that I'm better off without it...but that doesn't always help when I'm feeling a huge craving for a big old piece of chocolate cake with chocolate icing. Or when I'm traveling and all the stores seem to have is snickers bars and milky ways. Or when I'm celebrating my self-employment and I can't indulge in the caramel turtle cheesecake.

It's hard.

But it's also really really good...and this is where I try to rewire my brain when it gets to feeling deprived. I've lost 20 pounds since June. Most of it without even really focusing on the other kinds of food I'm eating. I'm walking 2.5 miles a day now and will continue to do that until I am ready to move up the 3 miles a day, and so on. As soon as things settle down (and they will within the week) I'm going to be eating on the "Dr. Phil" plan, which is really just eating healthily, but he throws in the necessary psychological tools to help you be successful at losing weight.

So, really it is good that I'm not eating sugar. I'm glad because I know that sugar has been the thing that sidetracked me all the other times I tried to lose weight. I know I'm not going to go on a binge that last for months because I have come to realize that I simply can't...

But it's not easy and it's a daily battle--that's been worse since the holidays--that I'm fighting. I don't know if it'll get easier or not, but I do know I'm not going to give up!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am very proud of you and what you have done. It probably will get easier but like an alcoholic you don't want to fall off that wagon. Keep up the good work. Mom