Thursday, March 01, 2007

March

The old saying goes that March comes in like a lion and leaves like a lamb. That certainly holds true for today as we've had stormy weather all day.

March has always meant to me St. Patrick's day which is always fun because you have to wear green and drink beer. I actually hated St. Patrick's day as a child because next to yellow and orange, green was my absolutely least favorite color.

But the weather never meant much to me. Actually March usually heralded the coming of spring. The weather would get warmer and sunnier, the grass would start coming in, the leaves budding. It was actually one of my favorite months until I moved to Kentucky when I decided that March was a cruel joke. It was the dead-end of winter and everything was dead and seemed like it would never ever come to life. It was still so cold and rainy and miserable...and the snow storms usually dumped a ton of snow. I was always so happy to see the end of March during those five years we were there.

In Mississippi, the trees start to bud, the azaleas bloom, the weather gets beautiful and sunny and not so humid. I love March here and am looking forward to the cold weather being behind us.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree with you Leslie. I love the coming of spring. My azaleas popped out last Saturday, and I am enjoying looking at the new green on the trees. Tonight the moon is getting full and it is beautiful out.