Thursday, March 29, 2007

Reading

I love to read. I think reading is one of life's best pleasures. No matter how wonderful your life, escaping into a well-written book is something that can't be surpassed by very many other things--sex, travel, and a good bottle of wine are really the only three I can think of.

I think my love of reading is one of the reasons that, when I have a book that isn't gripping me in all the right ways, I begin to avoid reading. Why would I read "that book" when I have so many other fun things to do? Why would I read "that book" when I know how much fun reading should be and it's just not getting me there? That's where I am right now...and funny enough I want to finish the book--most of the time I get to feeling this way I simply put the book aside.

So, what that means is that the book has some good qualities that I like, but is missing something huge for me. And since I know what it's missing, I'm hyper sensitive when those points come up.

Tell me, any readers out there. Have you read The Runaway Quilt by Jennifer Chiaverini (4th in her series)? Did something about it irk you? I'm wondering if it's just me seeing that she now has 5 more books published in this series in just 5 short years...If I can manage to push through, I'll have a review by early next week...and then I'll be less cryptic about why it annoys me.

No comments: