Friday, October 27, 2006

A Response to Yesterday's Comments

I never knew Grandma Blackmon, but I can see her talking to herself outside while doing a chore because that's what I would do if I were alone and had some free time to talk to myself. Showers/baths are the best time to talk to yourself because you are usually alone (i.e. no one else in the room or bathroom with you) and you can cover it up, mostly, with the sound of the water and splashing. Clearly not so when I was a kid, but then I didn't think anything of my imaginary friends as being any other than my real friends, only I could control them better.

Another thing I really like to do when alone is sing and dance. When I was growing up I would put on my mom's "At the Hop" records and twirl my baton and pretend I was leading the band through Los Angeles or San Francisco. I was something in my beautiful glittery costume (usually represented by my knit t-shirt and shorts with a scarf wrapped around my neck).

One day--here in MS--David was working late, the girls were at a friends, and I was in my sewing room piecing a new quilt. Life could not have been better. I could talk to myself, sing and dance, and sew! My room is big and has a tile floor, so sliding around and doing the groove thing is really encouraged. I was having so much fun that I did not hear David walk in the door, nor did I notice him standing there watching me until I did a particularly klutzy twirl and stopped facing him and almost died of embarrassment. He told me to carry on, but somehow I simply couldn't.

No comments: