Monday, October 16, 2006

Update

1. Discovery Day was indeed a day of discovery. The kids discovered that dorm rooms are "really small but worth it for the experience of having a bad roommate." David and I discovered that our idea of traveling is opposite of the kids' idea of traveling: impending problem for our trip to Europe this summer.

2. Acting on insight #2 from above, we had a talk with the kids where they discussed what they liked to do in traveling (E shopping and seeing touristy sights, A going with her plan and seeing stuff--touristy and not). Getting lost, driving around to see what's interesting, waking up one morning to discover what we want to do--not on their list (and all that's on our list). So, we were right, and decided on a compromise of Rick Steve's family Europe trip. We'll see most of the places we were going to go anyway, with an added eastern France and Austria. Plus we'll spend the last couple of days there going to the Loire Valley in France and seeing the chateaux. I think we're all looking forward to our trip now--the kids because they'll be more secure and less worried that we'll never find our way out of our lost-ness, David because he won't have to drive all the time, and me becuase I won't have to worry about whether David is tired and what the kids are thinking as they're chewing their fingernails.

3. We paid our 1st three quarters of 2006 taxes yesterday. There is definitely a dis-incentive to working hard and earning extra money.

4. I'm reading Eudora Welty's Delta Wedding. I love Welty a lot, but she slows you down. You feel like you really do have to read every word in order to see all the beauty she sees. I'm loving it--this may be my favorite book of hers yet--but it's slow-going and I probably won't have a book review for another week! I know, shocker when I was chunking them out there at a rate of one or two a week!

5. Last but not least, Saturday on the way home from Starkville, we saw the most beautiful sunset and cloud formations. It had me captivated for almost 2 hours. Unbelievable feathery clouds looking like they were on fire from the sun. Then the clouds formed a bowl above our heads in little puffs of cotton and looked like a flower opening with the sun as its stamen. It was something else.

Dreams next entry...I just felt the urge to update since it was such an insightful weekend.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That sunset sounds awesome. I hope you got pix. Have your camera with you at all times! We had a very nice sunset night before last and I got pix. Looks like the sky is on fire.