Thursday, October 26, 2006

"Self," I said...

Do you talk to yourself? Outloud? Do you ever leave yourself a voice message to remind yourself to do something you know you'll forget if you don't call? Do you ever e-mail yourself and say "Do X by Monday or else!"

Do you talk to yourself by name? I encourage myself by saying "Ok Leslie, you can handle this problem...just get in there and kick ass." But I don't usually say "Leslie, how are things today?"...but when I think about it, I don't really call most people by their names unless I'm trying to get their attention or make sure that they know I'm talking to them, so I'm not likely to do that with myself.

Do you answer yourself? Ask a question and reply as if you were the "other" person in the conversation? This is usually how I write, btw. I "say" it in my head and my critical reviewer says "that's pretty good, but try it this way" and then I reply "well, I liked this turn of phrase" and then I finally get it right after talking it through--silently of course.)

How do you end these conversations? The girls were laughing at me a few weeks ago when I left a message for myself at work and said "Bye." A conversational convention based on greeting and salutations doesn't work when you're talking to yourself. You can't say "hello self" and have that make sense unless you're schizophrenic...so saying "goodbye" to yourself doesn't really make sense either.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Grandma Blackmon used to talk to herself. I remember coming to her house once, she was in the little house outside the main house, doing canning or some such thing, and while walking up to the little house, I heard her carrying on a delightful conversation with someone. I was shocked when I turned the corner and saw there was no one else around. Maybe you got her gene. Or it could be the lack of sleep the night before. Love, BJ

Anonymous said...

I remember when you were little taking a bath and your Daddy opened the door hollering, "Who's in here with you," and you were in there taking a bath and just talking to yourself. Are you reverting to your childhood. Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

I don't remember Grandma Blackmon talking to herself, but Mother told me today that she never heard her mother sing in her life. Don't know why.

Anonymous said...

In remembering Grandma Blackmon, the things I remember most about her are: her cackling laughter, pleasant personality, and she would nod asleep while sitting next to me in church. Sometimes when I hear myself laughing, I am reminded of her. Did I inherit her laugh?
Auntie J.