Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Do You Know What It Means to Miss New Orleans?

I do.

10 years ago, David and I began our annual pilgrimage to New Orleans for the 4th of July weekend. This weekend is special to us because it's when we had originally set our wedding date. My mother nixed the idea of a Hawaiian luau at the farm for our wedding celebration, so we decided to go the traditional route and get married at the church in December instead. We still celebrate July 4th as our anniversary though--why not? It's another opportunity to get jewelry each year :)

That first year in New Orleans over the 4th of July reminded us why the rates were so cheap--it's hot, humic and pretty miserable in New Orleans in July. But we still loved it. Then we discovered the dueling barges fireworks, which were amazing. Until this year, we've only missed one 4th weekend in New Orleans.





Last year we took the kids and went to the zoo and rode a carriage and overall had a great time despite Tropical Storm Cindy.







We also had a fabulous dinner at one of our favorite restaurants. I believe this is Mr. B's Bistro.















We also took a paddle boat ride which I'd wanted to do for years and years.


I miss New Orleans like I would miss a friend who died tragically and suddenly. David and I moved down to Hattiesburg because of its proximity to NOLA. We couldn't wait to go have fabulous meals every month and go listen to jazz and watch people get hoodwinked in Jackson Square. I couldn't wait to discover more about this old city and learn to love her nooks and crannies. I couldn't wait to go shopping at Rumors II, and the quilt stores, and the cross stitch store, and the needlepoint store. The mall in Metarie was fabulous. I loved riding the trolly cars. I miss all the things about the city that made me happy to have it around--how it made me feel, the relaxation and fun that I had there, the memories associated with every place and street and restaurant that we ever visited. From my first visit to New Orleans for Carolyn's wedding, I was under her spell.

There's an edginess now that hasn't been there for many years. People who have made the trip down there talk about how eerie it is, or how scared they were that they were in danger.

As the 4th of July approaches, I think how different this year and many to come will be compared to my most recent 4th holiday celebrations. We're taking the kids and one of their friends to the beach. I know it'll be fun and an opportunity to make new memories and start new traditions (and for an Aggie, this is always a good thing), but it is sad to let go of New Orleans and what I'd come to expect of my 4th of July celebrations.


No comments: