Monday, June 12, 2006

Two for One Post today!

Post #1: Sugar Free Week 3
I have had no sweets, candy, junk food, etc., for 2 full weeks now, beginning week 3. I shouldn't be surprised at how great I feel--I've been here before--but I am surprised at how great I feel. I don't normally have the energy to help with dinner or work a whole day through, but yesterday I: went grocery shopping (at Winn Dixie not WM), washed a week's worth of clothes for two people, tidied the house, paid our household bills, and set up books for David's company and his non-profit (and those last two were NO small tasks). I also finished a cross stitch I've been working on for a couple of weeks, but more about that in a minute.

But back to how great I feel. I eat breakfast, and then get hungry right around lunch time, so I'm skipping my mid-morning snack. Then I eat a healthy, meal-sized lunch and then go back to work where I do not get hungry in the afternoon. I, therefore, skip my afternoon snack. Go home, help with dinner and eat, and then I'm done for the day. Not only am I not having sweets, etc., but I'm not eating 2 (or 3 if I count evening snacks which I rarely eat) snacks a day. I've taken off 3-4 pounds without even trying that hard. It's great. If I can ever manage to get myself to the gym, then the weight will come off even faster! But one thing at a time. For now, I'm just pleased with myself for avoiding the sugary stuff.

Post #2: Recently Completed Cross Stitches
I've been a cross stitching fiend lately. I love cross stitching. David looks at me while I'm working on something and always says "you look so content." I love the order, the prettiness, the thread and the materials. I also love being able to accomplish something fairly well. I often fantasized when a kid (I started cross stitching when I was 12) that I could make a living out of it if there were only a way. But, instead, I'm doomed to spending all my allowance on patterns, materials, thread and framing for these fabulous works which make me feel great and decorate my home! Below are three pieces I've finished since May. I have worked on Eve for some time, and put her away for a while as well. But the other two finished very quickly.


EVE: Eve is stitched on 28 count very light green linen with needlepoint silk thread. I probably should have used 2 threads rather than one, but she came out ok anyway. She's my first female nude. I particularly liked the shape of the sun. The bent over palm tree also makes me smile.














Son of Chickens?!: Son of Chickens is done on blackbird 32 count linen using DMC Cotton thread and Weeks Dye Works cotton thread. Weeks Dye Works has some thread that is overdyed/variegated, which is difficult to see in this image, but in real life looks cool. I enjoyed working on him so much while we were at the beach that I named him David because I think he's so darn cute, just like my David!












Thoughtful Heart: This one came as a kit and is on 36 count linen using Soire de Algier (spelling is completely mutilated there!) silk thread. It wasn't a difficult piece to do yet I messed up a number of times and had to take sections out! I particularly liked doing this one because I love all the specialty stitches and the silk thread is so wonderful to feel. The verse on the lower right says "Along the way take time, breathe, laugh, ask, adore, see, share, sing, try, touch, hear, believe, be free." A message I need to hear on a daily basis! There is a bee on this pattern, also--right next to the letter J. Some of the letters have words spelled out after them--you can see Heart. My favorite part of this project was that the P spells Peace and the Q spells Quiet and they are right next to each other! I thought that was clever.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love all the needlepoint. My favorite is Son of Chickens. SEW cute. Those were done so fast. Congrats on feeling great! Keep it up. You'll feel even greater. David is so good for you.