Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Quack-y

Yesterday on our way home from Office Depot, my husband saw a duck in one of our neighbors yard. She was making a bee line directly for their beautiful flowers. It reminded me of our rent house in Kentucky, which we were determined to make beautiful by adding as many flowers and plants as we could without changing the landscape. Around the sidewalk from our driveway I planted red and white impatients with the expectation that they would flourish and make a beautiful lined walkway...I'm a terrible gardener, and my ideas are always much better than the product. I've come to accept that.

But at the time, I couldn't. The plants were actually doing fine. They had flowers and were growing and showing promise, but one day we came home and the white flowers were all gone. Just disappeared. The red ones were doing fine, but the white ones were gone! I couldn't believe that the white plants would be so much more sensitive to the sun and would die so quickly. My husband just laughed at me because he really didn't believe the flowers would do well there anyway.

Then about a week later, the flowers came out again and were pretty once more. I was sitting and grading papers in my living room when I saw them fly down into the yard and yes, start to waddle up to my flowers! Ducks...wouldn't you believe it...were eating my white flowers. Apparantly they were rather tasty with the gusto that they were after them. They looked at me and had no care for what I was doing. I ran to grab the camera because I knew no one would believe me.

I have that picture somewhere at home in the myriad of photo albums and will try to publish it in a couple of days. Too funny.

No comments: